DEPTH for targets containing multilayers
by E. Szilágyi
[IBIS Home Page]
DEPTH code has now been developed further to calculate the energy and depth resolution of ion beam
analysis methods as Rutherford backscattering spectrometry, Elastic recoil detection analysis and
Nuclear Reaction Analysis for targets containing multilayers. The reflection and transmission
geometries are considered as well.
Now it is available to construct and save the simulated energy subspectra as well.
The following effects are not included: plural scattering, extremely small energy losses, non-
Gaussian straggling for small depths and sample surface roughness.
Here is an example for spectrum simulation by DEPTH. Experimental 4.5
MeV 4He ERD spectra (symbols) taken at tilt 76o and
recoil angle 32.5o for samples of the metal/ 50 nm hydrogenated
amorphous carbon/metal layers on silicon substrate. The thickness of metal
layers are a) Al, 2 x 400 nm b) Cu, 2 x 180 nm c) Ag, 2 x 171 nm d) Au
2 x 139 nm. RBX (developed by E.
Kótai: dashed line) and DEPTH (solid line) simulations are also
shown together in each case.
- F. Pászti, E. Szilágyi and E. Kótai: Optimization
of the depth resolution in elastic recoil detection, Nucl. Instr. Meth.
B54 (1991) 507.
- E. Szilágyi, F. Pászti, V. Quillet and F. Abel: Optimization
of the Depth Resolution in ERDA of H using 12C ions, Nucl. Instr.
Meth. B85 (1994) 63.
- E. Szilágyi and F. Pászti: Theoretical calculation
of the depth resolution of IBA methods, Nucl. Instr. Meth. B85 (1994) 616.
- N.P. Barradas, J.C. Soares, M. F. da Silva, F. Pászti and E.
Szilágyi: Study of multilayer substrate surface roughness using
RBS with improved depth resolution, Nucl. Instr. Meth. B 94 (1994) 266.
- E. Szilágyi, F. Pászti and G. Amsel: Theoretical approximations
for depth resolution calculations in IBA methods, Nucl. Instr. Meth. B
100 (1995) 103.
- E. Szilágyi, L.S. Wielunski and F. Pászti: Theoretical
approximations of energy distributions of elastic recoiled hydrogen atoms,
Nucl. Instr. Meth. B136-138 (1998) 701.
- L.S. Wielunski, E. Szilágyi and G.L. Harding: Multiple scattering
effects in the depth resolution of elastic recoil detection,
Nucl. Instr. Meth. B136-138 (1998) 713.
- E. Szilágyi: Energy spread in ion beam analysis,
Nucl. Instr. Meth. B 161-163(2000)37-47.
- E. Szilágyi: On the limitations introduced by energy spread in
recoil detection analysis,
Nucl. Instr. Meth. B 183(2001)25-33.
- L.S. Wielunski, D. Grambole, U. Kreissig, R. Grötzschel, G. Harding,
E. Szilágyi: Hydrogen depth resolution in multilayer metal
comparison of elastic recoil detection and resonant nuclear reaction
method, Nucl. Instr. Meth. B 190(2002)693-698.
download MDEPTH.ZIP (Last modification: