Neural network labs around the world
Index: A B C
D E F G
H I J K
L M N O
P Q R S
T U V W
X Y Z
of Brain and Cognitive Sciences.
University of Massachusetts (USA)
- Aberdeen University (UK)
- University of Alberta (Canada)
Computation Project. Info on the research of the project.
- University of Amsterdam - UvA (Netherlands)
- Autonomous Systems
Group - Robotics and Neurocomputing has info on publications, software
and pictures of robots used by the group. There is also info on a NN course
and ftp-able textbook, and links to the Simderella robot simulator.
- Aston University (UK)
- Neural Computing
Research Group. Who's who in the research group, information on research,
- ATR Human Information Processing Research Laboratories (Japan)
- HIPRL does research into Spoken
Language Processing, Visual Information Processing, Mechanisms for Information
Generation and Integration.
- Attila Jozsef University of Szeged (Hungary)
- Adaptive Systems Lab
at the Department of Photophysics. Research in genetic algorithms, autonomous
agents, reinforcement learning, constructive learning, concept learning,
biological modeling and analog/mixed VLSI design. Staff info, publications,
- Australian National University (Australia)
Systems resources: includes useful gopher servers, hypermedia tutorials
(inc. fuzzy logic), and the online journal Complexity
- Austrian Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence (Austria)
- Neural Networks
Group projects and publications described.
- Technische Universität Berlin (Germany)
- Neural Information
Processing Group (KON). Info people, publications and research in computational
neuroscience, the theory of competitive neural nets and the application
of neural nets in image processing, prediction and music. Also information
on courses (in German).
- Birmingham University (UK)
- Evolutionary and
Emergent Behaviour Intelligence and Computation (EEBIC) group. A newly-formed
research group with interests in evolutionary computation; emergent behaviour,
intelligence, computation; artificial life; practical applications.
- Boston University (USA)
- Department of Cognitive and Neural
Systems page has lots of information on the dept, on the Center for
Adaptive Systems, graduate programs, publications, faculty, etc.
- Brandeis University (USA)
- Center for Complex Systems.
Interdisciplinary info on neuroscience, cognitive science, computer science.
- University of Bremen (Germany)
- Institute for Theoretical
Neurophysics. Research into general sensorimotor processing in biological
and technical neural system: stereo vision, segmentation, landmark-navigation,
analysis of spiking neurons, auditory system of barn owls. Research details,
lab members, publications.
- University of Brighton (UK)
Network Research in the Mathematical Sciences Department concentrates
on the numerical behaviour and analysis of linear and non-linear neural
- Bristol University (UK)
Computing Research Group. Info on research and people in theory of
neural computing, neurobiology, applications in engineering.
- Brown University (USA)
- Institute for Brain and Neural
Systems. Under construction, but will contain info about the Institute,
people, seminars, research.
- Brunel University (UK)
- Department of Computer
Science and Information Systems appears to have a new Centre for Neural
and Evolutionary Systems (CNES), offering an MSc course. Also the Brunel
MSc in Intelligent Systems Neural
Nets course includes a set of lecture notes, exercise guides, problem
sheets and miscellaneous NN information which is worth a look.
- Université Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium)
- IRIDIA -- Institut
de Recherches Interdisciplinaires et de Developpements en Intelligence
Artificielle. Info on a few people doing autonomous robotics and reinforcement
- California Institute of Tecnology - Caltech (USA)
- Computation & Neural Systems
- Has info about the program, PhD theses, etc.
- Sloan Center for Theoretical Neurobiology
- One of five centers.
Biology Building WWW Server
- Links to info on the GENESIS simulator, the Bower lab, and computational
- University of California at Berkeley (USA)
- Robotics & Intelligent
Machines Lab. Features: People in the Robotics Laboratory, Areas of
Research, Papers and Publications, Robotics Demos and Movies, Robotics
Tools, UCB Robotics FTP server contains tools and several publications.
- University of California at Los Angeles (USA)
- Division of Neurosurgery
at UCLA Medical Center.
- Includes Brain Monitoring and Modeling Laboratory, and HTML lecture
notes for a computational neuroscience course.
Neuroscience Undergraduate Society
- Neuroscience information and pointers.
- University of California at San Diego (USA)
- Neuro Web. Departmental info,
NeuroNews, and the virtual poster session (not many posters there at present,
but this could be useful if more people contribute).
- Cambridge University (UK)
- Speech Vision and Robotics
- In the Engineering Department. Info on research into: NNs, pattern
recognition, mobile robots, speech recognition, language processing, image
processing, robot assembly. Also info on a MPhil course in Computer Speech
and Language Processing.
- The MRC Applied Psychology
Unit ftp site
- Contains papers by Jaap Murre and Mike Page.
- Cavendish lab
- David MacKay's
- Computer Vision and
Computational Neuroscience group is part of the Computer
Lab. Contact info, mainly.
- Carnegie Mellon University (USA)
Net Speech Group
(Autonomous Land Vehicle In a Neural Network)
Repository for software and documents
- Branches to neural networks, alife, simulated annealing, fuzzy logic,
GAs, robotics, etc etc. Worth a look.
of NN benchmarks
- Center for
the Neural Basis of Cognition
- conference information
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (Spain)
- The Departament of Llenguatges
i Sistemes Informátics (Software Department) home page has information
on departmental section for AI and machine learning.
- CERN (Switzerland)
- Artificial Neural
Networks in High Energy Physics. Information on applications of neural
network techniques to experimental high energy physics. Lots of references
to papers on hardware and software issues. Pages listing commercially available
hardware and software for NNs.
- University of Colorado at Boulder (USA)
Connectionist Research Group (BCRG). Info on researchers, classes and
- Colorado School of Mines (USA)
- Department of Mathematical
and Computer Sciences home page has info on the work of faculty, NN
research and courses, graduate program. Also the Center
for Robotics and Intelligent Systems (CRIS).
- Columbia University (USA)
- Robotics Group.
Information and several MPEGs for the following projects: Visual Control
for Robotics Tasks, Model-Based Sensor Planning, Dextrous Robotics Hands,
3D Scene Reconstruction and Object Recognition, 8-Degree of Freedom Robot,
Interactive Tutorials for Machine Vision.
- Cornell University (USA)
- The Field Lab investigates
psychophysical and computational approaches to vision.
- Vision and Parallel Processing
Robotics and Vision Laboratory.
- Institut Dalle Molle d'Intelligence Artificielle Perceptive
- IDIAP Neural Network Home Page has
info on IDIAP publications and a searchable page of NN events.
- Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull'Intelligenza Artificiale
- IDSIA home page. Research details
in neural networks, reinforcement learning, robotics. Also searchable index
- Defence Research Agency, Malvern (UK)
- Pattern and Information
Processing Group. Publications.
- Technical University of Delft (Netherlands)
- Pattern Recognition
Group. Information on research in pattern recognition and NNs, image
filtering, digital measurement theory, robot vision. Bibliographies and
info on software: SCIL-Image, Artificial Neural Networks Library (ANNLIB),
Statistical Pattern Recognition Library (SPRLIB), TCL-Image, TIM for Windows.
- University of Derby (UK)
- Image Processing and Neural
Networks Research Group. Info on research on DSP and image processing,
learning algorithms, pattern recognition, machine vision.
- University of Durham (UK)
for Natural Language Engineering.
- Edinburgh University (UK)
- Centre for Neural Systems
- Part of the Centre
for Cognitive Science. Info on the Centre, papers, personnel, etc.
- Centre for Neuroscience
- Lots of info.
- Eindhoven University of Technology (Netherlands)
- Neural networks
with some interesting links, including one to a page of information on
- Emory University (USA)
lab home page. Staff, papers, references. Neurolab modeling tool.
- Essex University (UK)
- The handwriting recognition home
page: info on workshops and conferences, papers, databases, and internet
services for the handwriting community. Links to labs doing similar work.
- University of Florence (Italy)
di Sistemi e Informatica. Info on research into: recurrent networks,
convergence, prior knowledge, inference of symbolic rules, speech recognition.
- University of Geneva (Switzerland)
- AI Group. Info
on research in neural networks and symbolic/connectionist integration.
- Università degli Studi di Genova (Italy)
di Ingegneria Biofisica ed Elettronica (DIBE).
- Neural network activities include: VLSI design centre, electronic system
group, biolectronics and neurobioengineering group, signal processing &
of Informatics, Systems and Telecommunications (DIST).
- Computational neuroscience, models and applications (including Laboratory
for Robotics and Automatic Control).
- Dept of Physics
- (Link appears to be broken).
- GMD - German National Research Center for Information Technology
- Gesellschaft für Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung. Adaptive
Systems Research Group. Research info on evolutionary algorithms, statistical
learning and exploration procedures, and adaptive robotics and open systems.
- George Mason University (USA)
- Genetic Algorithms Group.
Summaries of GA and EC research and lab members.
- Georgia Institute of Technology (USA)
Robot Laboratory Home Page: information on people and research projects
involving learning in robots.
- Glasgow University (UK)
- Neural Adaptive
Control Technology (NACT) is a research project aiming at a synergy
of adaptive control and neural networks.
- Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble (France)
- Laboratiore de Traitement
d'Images et Reconnaissance de Formes (TIRF Lab). Has a Vision dept
and a Neuronics dept doing NN research: algorithms, biological models,
neural architectures (VLSI).
- The Hebrew University, Jerusalem (Israel)
- The Multidisciplinary
Center for Neural Computation. Under construction. Info on staff, research
groups, seminars, PhD program.
- Helsinki University of Technology (Finland)
- Neural Networks Research
Centre. Theory of and applications for the Self-Organizing Map (SOM)
and Learning Vector Quantization (LVQ) algorithms of Prof. Kohonen. Info
on research, personnel and PD software.
- Institute of Isotopes of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (Hungary)
- Department of Photophysics, Adaptive
Systems Laboratory. Research in NNs and other adaptive algorithms.
- Illinois University (USA)
- Genetic Algorithms
Laboratory homepage. Information and archive on GA research.
- Imperial College, University of London (UK)
Systems Group, Department of Electrical Engineering. Info on research,
staff, students, publications.
- Indiana University (USA)
- Cognitive Science
- Info on the department and local FTP site.
- Center for Research on Concepts
- Information on the research of the center, the Copycat program, and
- Analog VLSI and Robotics
- INRIA Lorraine (France)
Neural Network Group do research into models inspired from biology,
and applications of classical ANNs.
- Iowa State University (USA)
Intelligence Research Group does research in AI, alife, ANNs, etc.
Links to publications and AI courses.
- Johns Hopkins University (USA)
- Computational Neuroscience
- Cognitive Science Department
- Some neural network research. Info on faculty, students, PhD applications.
- Universität Kaiserslautern (Germany)
- Research Group Autonomous
Mobile Robots. Info on projects involving autonomous mobile robot research.
- Universität Karlsruhe (Germany)
- Institut für Logik, Komplexität und Deduktionssysteme, Neural
Network Group. Info on research.
- Universität Kassel (Germany)
Neuronale Netzwerke (FGNN). Information in German.
- Keele University (UK)
- Department of
Communication and Neuroscience. Mainly hearing and vision sciences.
Info on staff research interests and the MSc program in Machine Perception
- Keio University, Shonon Fujisawa Campus (Japan)
- Neural and Multimedia
Center. Publications info and some MPEG animations of solutions to
the 4-colour problem.
- King's College London (UK)
- Organised by ESPRIT to coordinate European NN activity. Information
on collaborating sites, conferences, etc. Also list of NN researchers,
software, and a discussion forum implemented in forms.
- Centre for Neural
- The Centre runs a newsletter called Connect.
- Image Processing
Group home page
- École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne - EPFL (Switzerland)
- Centre for Neuro-Mimetic Systems
(MANTRA). Describes research in NN algorithms, NN accelerators and
applications. Lots of papers and information.
- l'Université Laval (Canada)
- Computer Vision and Systems
Laboratory (also in French).
Lots of info on lab activities, staff, publications, and classes. Links
to other vision sites.
- Limburgs Universitair Centrum (Belgium)
- Neural Networks
Group Home Page has information on: staff, research, and a reference
database. Additionally there are back issues of Neuron Digest and the Genetic
Algorithms Digest, and a game to test time series prediction algorithms.
- Los Alamos National Laboratory (USA)
- The list of all Gopher/WWW Servers
at LANL is worth a browse. Of particular interest may be: the Simulation
and Adaptive Computation Effort in the Applied Theoretical Physics
Division, which discusses neural network theory and intelligent control;
the Center for Nonlinear
Studies; and the Nonlinear Science e-Print
Archive, wherein reside many preprints.
- Université Catholique de Louvain (Belgium)
Neural Net Group. Description of projects in NNs.
- Université Claude Bernard - LYON 1 (France)
- Molecular Onirology lab home page, French
and English version.
Research on function of sleep and dreaming and the brain structures responsible.
Hypertext papers, images and videos on the neuroanatomy of the brain, review
- University of Maastricht (Netherlands)
- Neural Networks
group at the Department of Computer Science. Keywords: vision, memory and
language. Projects, publications, personnel.
- University of Maryland (USA)
- Autonomous Mobile Robots
- Descriptions of projects and people, the Airborne Imaging Robotic System
(AIRS), the annual University of Maryland Robotics Competition.
- Parallel Understanding
Systems (PLUS) Group
- Do research on hybrid symbolic/connectionist systems.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - MIT (USA)
Max-Planck-Institut für biologische Kybernetik (Germany)
Information on people, projects
Technische Universität München (Germany)
Group Automated Reasoning. Info on projects, staff, and tech reports.
- Laboratory for Perceptual
- Information about research, facilities, publications, personnel, demos,
announcements, and bibliography information. LPR's research areas include
dexterous manipulation (reaching and grasping), mobile robot navigation,
geometric reasoning, assembly planning, and the application of learning
theory to robotics. Also MPEG movies of various robot lab demos.
Reinforcement Learning Archive
- Code, papers, abstracts.
National Research Council - NRC (Canada)
The NRC Artificial Intelligence
Resources page links to a resources directory. There are links for
many branches of AI, including neural
networks. This is definitely worth a look.
National Research Council - Institute of Psychology, Rome (Italy)
Research Group on
Artificial Life. Online papers.
Naval Research Laboratory (USA)
Navy Center for Applied Research
in Artificial Intelligence (NCARAI). The Center consists of an Intelligent
Systems Laboratory with research sections in Machine Learning, and Computational
Reasoning, and a Human-Computer Interaction Laboratory with research sections
in Intelligent M4 (Multimodal/Multimedia) Systems and Interface Design
NEC Research Institute (USA)
Dr Lee Giles's
homepage describes his research group, with interests in neural networks.
Info on staff and papers.
Nevada University, School of Medicine (USA)
page of neural network links, including search forms for Neuroprose
and recent articles from comp.ai.neural-nets.
University of Newcastle (UK)
Neural Systems Group does research in cognitive, computational, systems
and sensory neuroscience and neural network computing. Info about staff
New York University (USA)
University of Nijmegen (Netherlands)
Group in the Department of Medical Physics and Biophysics. Info on
staff and students, seminars, papers.
l'Ecole Normale Supérieure (France)
de Bioinformatique home page. Research and papers on animats, image
processing, cell metabolism, neural networks, computer applications to
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (USA)
Dept of Computer Science has a
PhD program in Neural Networks And Vision.
- Center for Neural Science
- Info on research facilities, faculty, and degree programs.
- Network Robotics
- What is a robot?, Robotics Review, Microhumanoids, Laptop Active Vision,
Robot Scaling Theory, Robotics Videos. Also info on faculty and students.
Oregon Graduate Institute of Science and Technology (USA)
Oregon State University (USA)
Department of Computer Science
includes info on research, including RL by Thomas
University of Otago (New Zealand)
Department of Information Science, Software
Engineering and Collaborative Modelling Laboratory. Research areas
include applying modelling technologies to neural networks, fuzzy logic
and expert systems. Staff info and publications.
Oxford University (UK)
- Center for Spoken Language Understanding
- Uses an approach that combines expert knowledge of speech and human
communication with neural network classification. Info on research and
faculty. Also the OGI Speech Tools.
- Neural Network Research Group
- Info on personnel, publications, NN demos, courses, code.
- Robotics Research
- Info about people.
- MRC Research Centre in Brain
- Info from the Department of Experimental Psychology.
- MRC Research Centre in Brain
- Publications, staff.
- Sansom Group
- Info on ion channel research.
Pacific Northwest Laboratory (USA)
homepage has quite a lot of useful links, including an introduction
to ANNs and bibliographic information.
University of Palermo (Italy)
Computer Science and Artificial
Intelligence Lab. Research on VLSI and NN, vision, multimedia systems,
cognitive robotics, visual databases, expert systems. Papers, courses,
people, and a tree(!?). Still under construction.
University of Pennsylvania (USA)
Research in Cognitive Science. Info on the institute and grad program,
and on software used in research.
University of Pittsburg (USA)
University of Queensland (Australia)
Dept of Electrical and Computer
Engineering does research into Artificial
Neural Networks and Intelligent Systems.
California Research Center.
Machine learning and perception, color image processing. Publications and
info about personnel.
RIKEN (Institute of Physical and Chemical Research) (Japan)
Brain Information Processing
Group includes 3 labs: Neural Modeling, Information Representation,
Artificial Brain Systems. Info on papers, staff, research.
University of Rochester (USA)
Department of Brain and
Royal Holloway College, University of London (UK)
Group homepage has information on the NeuroCOLT Working Group, including
an archive of technical reports.
Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden)
SANS - Studies
of Artificial Neural Systems. Pages on neural computation (adaptive
control) and computational neuroscience (including a really cool NN-driven
simulation of a swimming lamprey).
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (Australia)
Department of Computer Systems
Engineering has some NN-related research scholarships available.
Ruhr-Universität Bochum (Germany)
Neuroinformatik (INI). System Biophysics group: object recognition,
grasping, robotics, incremental self-organizing networks; Theoretical Biology
Group: NEUROS project (NEUral RObot Skills), SONN (structural optimization
of neural networks), experimental neurobiology, theoretical neurobiology,
nonlinear dynamic theory, computer vision; NAMOS (navigation of autonomous
Rutgers University (USA)
There are two affiliated labs, the Center for Molecular and Behavioral
Neuroscience and the Institute for Animal Behavior, offering a graduate
program in Behavioral and Neural
Sciences. There is information on research, faculty and publications.
University of Salford (UK)
Robot Research. Lots of info on research.
Salk Institute for Biological Studies (USA)
There is a Salk home page, and also
University of Salzburg (Austria)
Schwaiger's projects page contains a bibliography and links to FTP
Santa Fe Institute (USA)
The institute home page links
to information on research and faculty in complex and adaptive systems.
Scripps Research Institute (USA)
Human Brain Project server.
Sheffield University (UK)
page has information on the AI and Neural Computing group, projects,
SISSA (Scuola Internazionale Superiore di Studi Avanzati) (Italy)
Sector. Info on research groups in neuropsychology, developmental neurobiology
and plasticity, somatosensory processing and plasticity, LIMBO (liminar
investigations of memory and brain organization). Also PhD course.
Southampton University (UK)
- Computational Neurobiology
- Molecular Neurobiology
University of Southern California (USA)
- Cognitive Sciences
- Info on research and papers.
- The ISIS research group
- Image, Speech and Intelligent Systems (ISIS) research group within
the Department of Electronics and Computer Science. Research details on
control and intelligent systems, neural networks and neurofuzzy systems,
speech processing and speech acoustics, computer vision and image processing,
Stanford University (USA)
Stanford Robotics Laboratory.
Information on people in the lab, plus the following research groups: Geometric
Computation (Guibas), Vision and Image Science and Technology (Heeger),
Advanced Manipulation Group(Khatib), Jean-Claude Latombe's Research Groups,
'Bots (Nilsson), Nobotics (Shoham). Also a tour of the various robots in
Stirling University (UK)
Centre for Cognitive and Computational
Neuroscience: info on neural networks, vision, sound and music, and
neuroscience. Includes an introduction to the Understanding Vision
Sussex University (UK)
The School of Cognitive
and Computing Sciences does research into: Computational Linguistics,
Computer Vision, Simulation
of Adaptive Behavior and Artificial Life, Socio-Cognitive Technology.
Lots of info on research, faculty, publications. Also info on courses in
Human Centered Computer Systems and Machine Learning. There is free software
available: FONTINST (font-installation package), POPBUGS (simulation environment
for track-driven robot), and LIB INTEGRAM (generator for autostereograms).
Of particular interest may be the Connectionism
and Neural Computation Research Group.
- USC Brain Project
- Lots of information on project goals, research groups, demos, models,
people, class projects.
for Robotics and Intelligent Systems
- Information on the following laboratories: Computer Vision Lab, Modular
Robotics Lab, Robotics Research Lab.
Tel Aviv University (Israel)
Adams Super Center for Brain
Studies. Faculty members, grad students, courses, seminars, events.
University of Texas at Austin (USA)
University of Toronto (Canada)
No neural networks page, but the Computer
Science page has info about the staff in the neuron group. There is
also a Cognitive Robotics
Trinity College Dublin (Ireland)
Intelligence Group does some work on machine learning (inc. neural
nets) and cognitive modelling.
- Laboratory for Artificial
Neural Systems (LANS)
- Info on students, publications, software and some research demos.
- Neural Nets research
group in the Computer Science Dept
- Info on research, personnel, and publications. Some nice demos and
virtual posters. Software.
- Neuro Engineering Research
& Development Laboratory (yes, that makes NERDLab!)
- In the Dept of Mechanical Engineering. Research into the development
of new neural network architectures and learning algorithms, and the application
of neural networks. Info on staff and research.
- Center for Vision and Image
- Info on staff, projects, tech reports.
- Computer and Vision Research
- In the College of Engineering. Lab overview and research details, staff,
United Medical & Dental Schools (UMDS) (UK)
Image Processing Group. Some
University College London (UK)
University of Utah (USA)
Robotics and Vision.
Research in robot navigation, analysis of robot behavior specifications,
and the analysis of visual motion. Info on faculty and projects.
- Planning, Agent Modelling,
- Publications, people. Also a page of AI,
cognitive science and robotics resources.
- Applied research in neural networks, evolutionary techniques, fuzzy
logic and hybrid systems with `traditional' symbolic AI. Also a page on
- Research in neuroscience.
University of Wales at Aberystwyth (UK)
and analytical biotechnology group uses neural networks as research
Warwick University (UK)
Neural Nets home page
of the Dept of Engineering. Bibliographic info for NN books and journals
in the Warwick library. Pages for Intelligent Systems Engineering Laboratory
researchers and seminars.
Washington State University (USA)
Microelectronics Home Page has links to several publications.
Washington University in St Louis (USA)
program. Archive of technical reports, info on faculty and graduate program.
Weizmann Institute of Science (Israel)
Group home page has info on people in the group and some online poster
University of Western Australia (Australia)
Centre for Intelligent Information
Processing Systems. Research in ANNs, syntactic pattern recognition,
biomedical engineering, image/speech processing. FTP site for local papers.
University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
Research Group (MLRG) has archives of papers and datasets, plus lots
of AI links.
Yale University (USA)
University of York (UK)
Dept of Computer
Science. Includes info on research in neural nets, computer vision
and pattern recognition.
University of Zurich (Switzerland)
Intelligence Laboratory. Info on staff, tech reports and research in
situated design and autonomous agent design.
- Neuroengineering and Neuroscience
Center (formerly CTAN)
- Has a directory of info on the NEURON simulation program, and a public
ftp file archive for source code and papers.
Vision and Robotics Group
- Research in motion analysis, neural network-based recognition, geometric
reasoning, human and computer object recognition, mobile robotics, sensor-based
manipulation, control of highly dynamic nonlinear systems, and planning.
This page is maintained by Ric